Ms. Hunter’s Teaching Philosophy
As an English teacher, I see so much opportunity for my course content to be a key that unlocks a world of possibility for my students. Reading is the foundation for learning across the content areas and the gift that gives students of any age the ability to grow and explore. Writing is the greatest gift born of reading, and together they are the foundation not only for the extensive subject of English, but for the educational experience as a whole. With this foundation in mind, I aim to inspire a love for learning in my students by:
- Creating a classroom community where my students feel safe to explore and collaborate.
- Modeling respect, greeting students at the door, getting to know my students through survey and conversation, developing an environment of trust through team building activities, modeling positive encouragement, providing positive student interaction through peer review activities
- Developing interesting, engaging lessons and activities in class that challenge students to think critically and attach meaning and purpose to their learning.
- Plan using the Understanding by Design model, display student learning objectives every lesson, review the “Why?” with students, use materials that are relevant to students, design lessons that build on students’ prior knowledge and access their personal experiences, allow students to create meaning through text-to-text, text-to-self and text-to-world connections
- Encouraging students to ask questions of themselves, each other, and the content of our lessons.
- Project-based learning, small group and whole class discussions, Socratic seminars & fishbowl activities
- Embracing opportunities to open our minds, celebrating our differences and how they can bring us together.
- Learning through the lens of different perspectives, integrating literature and expository materials to deepen and broaden understanding, fostering an environment that teaches and models tolerance, integrating issues of social justice & equity
- Teaching students how to value themselves and their learning journey.
- Positive feedback, self-assessment, student goals, recognizing & celebrating progress, student choice